Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hokey Pokey Part 2: Turn Yourself Around

Okay, maybe I have some messed up priorities, but I'm a pretty good guy. I mean, look at the ten commandments. I never cheated on my wife!

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Matthew 5:27-28

Uh, well, I've never killed anyone!

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.” Matthew 5:21-22

Fine, but I don't "bear false witness"; I don't even know what that means. Sooo, what does it mean? Lying, really!? Well, I don't lie . . . on a regular basis. How can you . . . what about . . . look, everyone lies a little, don't they?


Repentance
Okay, so I mess up. Now what? How do I get it right? Again, we return to the wisdom of the song. "You turn yourself around." Repentance literally means to turn away. Change direction. Do a 180. "Turn yourself around" as the song instructs. Most of us live life unintentionally. We do what needs to be done with little thought or care. Fix meals. Pay bills. Work. How often do we reflect on the greater purposes that these tasks serve? At what point do we stop throwing our limbs into the stuff of life, turn ourselves around, and take a hard look at meaning?

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Isn't it time to stop this crazy dance and turn toward He who is greater than us in order to truly understand "what it's all about"? Yeah, and you thought it was just a stupid roller skating game.

Next Hokey Pokey Part 3: What It's All About

No comments:

Post a Comment