Thursday, July 21, 2011

Leftovers

Growing Up Hungry
I come from a family of six, so leftovers in our house were rare. If my mom hit it out of the park on a particular meal, I was lucky to enough the first time around. Usually, we only had leftovers when my mom was trying a new recipe. Often the ingredients included tuna and "surprise". Perhaps there are fewer people in your family, so leftovers don't seem so bad. Even when a meal is worthy of a second run, it isn't something you would typically serve to guests.

Favor with the Flavor
One of the oldest stories in the Bible, about Cain and Abel, is really about serving food. Sure it is the first murder in the Bible and deals with sibling rivalry, but a closer look reveals the true essence of the story. Genesis 4 tells us Abel tends sheep and Cain is a farmer. Both give God gifts. Cain "brings some of the fruits." Not much description here.

Abel brings the fat of the first of his sheep. This is the good stuff. The fat is where we get the flavor, the aroma. My friend Jeff is a master when it comes to preparing pork steak.* His secret? He starts with the cheapest cut of meat, since it has the most fat. The verdict? God approves Abel's offering, but "he did not look with favor" on Cain's offering.

At this point, Cain is angry. Why was Cain's offering rejected? Maybe he offered fruit that was overripe or inferior. Perhaps his heart wasn't in the giving. Did he have wrong motives? Did he keep the best for himself? Whatever the reason, God knows . . . and so does Cain. There is a warning here too: do the right thing or you will be possessed by evil. We know the rest. Cain killed Abel, whether out of jealousy or to eliminate the competition. God casts him out.

What does this story have for me? What does it truly mean to give? When I give to others, what do I expect from them? What are my motives? Do I give my best or give the rest . . . the leftovers?

Canned Food Drive
Every year, well meaning people hold a canned food drive around Thanksgiving or Christmas.** Do you think that people give their best during this time? Think about it from two perspectives.

First, is this the best way to help people? I'm sure there are more creative ways we can help the needy that go beyond temporarily feeding them. How do we help them to sustain themselves? Are we giving to help others, or ease our guilt? Are we helping to empower a brother, or do we give from a place of superiority, in a condescending way?

Second, do we give our best? I've helped sort cans before at a food pantry. Almost everything is discount brand. Canned asparagus or beets top the menu. I'm as guilty as anyone of giving away the stuff in the cupboard that nobody wants. Here is a challenge for all of us: if you wouldn't eat it, don't donate it to others.

ROI
Where we put our time and money says a lot about us. It gives an indication of what we value. A financial adviser would tell us to place our resources in the places where we get the greatest ROI or return on investment. Most of my money each month goes to my mortgage. While this used to be a sound investment, but now, it seems more of a liability. In the long term, I am saving the most for our retirement. Oddly enough, this is the shortest part of life - even that isn't guaranteed. So far, I'm not getting a great return on these investments. Once I have given to these areas what does God get? My leftovers?

What does the Bible say about return on investment? Matthew 6:19-20 states, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Do you believe this? Do I? Are we giving our best or serving leftovers to a king?

*A St. Louis delicacy. Cut from the pork shoulder/pork butt, usually smothered in 1/2 a bottle of Maul's® barbecue sauce.
** Apparently, people are only needy during these seasons.

2 comments: